Travelling with kids is hard enough. Add in the packing….oh the packing! Intentions are always good when you are in your planning phase; the kids will only eat healthy meals and snacks this time. Mmmhmm! I’ve been there; it is easier to grab treats along your travels, foods that generally are high in fats, sugars and fillers and the extra expense of those treats is not usually in the travel budget. Here are a few ideas to keep your kids eating healthy, even while travelling.
1. Dry nuts, chickpeas, trail mix or dried fruits.
3. Banana loaf or zucchini muffins
4. Raw veggies or fresh fruit
5. Rice chips, crackers, veggie chips or sweet potato crisps
6. Corn puffs
7. Unsalted popcorn (mix with yogurt covered raisins, pretzels, nuts, dried small fruits and chickpeas for the ultimate easy to pack snack)
8. Dry whole grain cereal like Multi-grain Cherrios
9. Yogurt covered raisins or pretzels
10. Oatmeal or sunflower seed cookies
Frozen water bottles – by the time they thaw out the kids will be ready for a drink.
A few of these will need to be prepared ahead, or baked, but it is worth the effort to keep bellies full of healthy foods.