Hubs is somewhat of an amateur master chef; he absolutely loves cooking special creative dishes for us. We have quite the selection of spices already so there really was only a few ingredients he had to make a trip to the grocery store for but for yourself, if you plan on trying a new recipe just plan ahead to have everything on hand when you are ready. Normally he would make a full dinner spread but he decided Spinach Mango Curry with a side of sliced hard boiled egg would be the perfect light lunch. The dish was very enjoyable having a sweet taste from the mango with a little kick of spice. If this is the first time you are trying East Indian food, this would be a great dish to try.
If you like the looks of the recipe or you try it, please pin the image on Pinterest or share via Twitter and Facebook. Happy cooking!
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 20 curry leaves
- 2 dried red chillies
- 1 cm (1/2″) piece fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 green chilli, slit lengthwise
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 400g (14 oz) natural yogurt
- 25g (1 oz) spinach leaves, touch stalks removed
- 1 small mango, peeled and thinly sliced
- sea salt
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the mustard seeds and fry until they start to pop. Add the onion, curry leaves, dried red chillies and 1 tsp sea salt. Cook gently for 10 minutes or until the onion is softened and golden.
- Add the grated ginger and green chilli, cook, stirring for 1 minute. Stir in the turmeric and cook for 30 seconds.
- Take off the heat and slowly stir in the yogurt, then add the spinach and sliced mango. Heat gently, stirring for 1 minute then serve.