Strawberries are one of my favourite fruits to eat, especially in desserts. In the summer strawberry ice cream is a nice cool treat, on cool winter mornings oatmeal topped with strawberries or strawberry rhubarb crisp always comes to mind but even just fresh strawberries all on their own are delicious. In celebration of National Strawberry day, yesterday, I decided to share one of the sweetest and cutest treats I made for my kids today, Sugared Strawberry Mini Donuts.
Aren’t they just the cutest garnishes for a beverage and they taste really good too. No greasiness from deep frying because these little cuties are baked. I bought a cheap mini donut maker after Christmas for $10 and it was one of the best purchases for the kitchen. If you ask my husband he probably has a different option on yet another appliance but to me, this little guy is worth the little bit of counter space it takes up. If you don’t have a mini donut maker, you can make these baked in a donut pan in the oven.
This is a sexy piece of appliance right here. Have I mentioned that I have a love affair with my KitchenAid Professional mixer? There aren’t many days I don’t use my mixer. I had the Classic before this one, well used but not quite large enough for my large family so I up-sized but not to worry, I found my old baby a new good home. I’ve been meaning to buy the guard but procrastination is a skill I have mastered. Instead I will continue to wrap my arms around it while my flour beats in order to avoid a flour aftermath.
I love this mini donut maker; it fits in quite nicely with my mini cupcake and cotton candy maker. I probably wouldn’t have considered it had it not been on sale and now I’m planning mini donuts for every party.
Because these babies aren’t fried they don’t have anything for the sugar to stick to. Dousing them with cooking oil seemed to defeat the purpose of baked so I simply lightly brushed the donuts with water, then dipped them quickly in the sugar to coat the tops.
These strawberry mini donuts are a sweet pink colour by real strawberries, no food colouring.
What are your favourite strawberry recipes?
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh ripe strawberries
- ½ cup yogurt (I used strawberry flavoured)
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp strawberry jello crystals (optional if you want a brighter pink)
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg together in a mixing bowl.
- Stir yogurt, strawberries, egg, oil and vanilla together in a small bowl.
- Pour over dry ingredients and mix until everything is moistened only.
- Spoon batter into pastry bag or ziploc (cut the tip off to squeeze through). I used a silicone sauce squeeze bottle.
- Fill each donut cup ½ to ¾ and bake for approximately 8 minutes.
- If using the oven, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease doughnut pan well, fill each cup as above and bake for 9-10 minutes.
For more strawberry recipes, check out these recipes: Strawberry No-Bake Cheesecake, Easy 5 Minute Strawberry Butter, Strawberry Sugar Cookie Parfaits, Healthy Fudge Stuffed Strawberries, Chocolate Cake with Strawberry Filling and Ganache Topping, Strawberry Mice Appetizer and Strawberry Petite Scones.