The sun has been shining here on the prairies of Canada and along with it came the heat. I enjoy the short summer that we get but there are days when the heat gets to me and I’m searching for ways to keep the family cool. These 7 ways to keep kids cool in the summer applies to the whole family when heading inside out of the sun isn’t always possible.
- Limit time outdoors. Keep your child inside during the hottest parts of the day.
- Cover-up. Dress your child in light coloured or SPF clothing, a hat and sunglasses for added protection from the sun.
- Stay hydrated. Kids can overheat easily; making sure they drink lots of water throughout the day can prevent them from getting sick.
- Freeze drinks and yogurt tubes. Before you head out to the public outdoor pool, freeze water bottles. You can use them to cool down and by the time they thaw, they will be a refreshing drink. Frozen yogurt tubes are healthy way for kids to cool down and still feel like they are getting a treat.
- Keep cool. For extended time outdoors, make sure to keep your children in the shade on hotter days and bring along water to cool them down. A quick dip in the pool or a small spray bottle works very well to mist and cool the skin.
- Use frozen gel packs. Gel packs can be purchased from our local Dollar Store but instead of using them for bumps and bruises, use them on the back of your kids neck when they become too hot. This will quickly cool them off and help with headaches, should they be experiencing one.
- Don’t forget the sunscreen. Remember, you should apply sunscreen 30 minutes before sun exposure and repeat every hour or after swimming. Make sure to cove all areas of exposed skin to help prevent sunburns.
Prepare ahead with these 7 tips before you step outside to soak up the sun and you will enjoy the summer, even on the hottest days.
NEW Banana Boat SunComfort Lotion Features and Benefits
- Available in SPF 30 and 50+
- Broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection
- Sand easily brushes off with unique lightweight formula
- Moisturizes to relieve dryness that can be caused by the sun, chlorine and salt water
- Good for everyday use
- Water resistant for up to 80 minutes
Enter to WIN $2500!
It’s easy to enter. For a chance to win a family vacation at the destination of your choice, valued at $2500:
- Tell me your mom hack tips for a great summer in the comments below.
- Check out the Banana Boat Facebook Page.
- Enter your mom hacks into the contest form HERE.
*Contest is open to Canadian residents and ends 11:59:59 AM ET on June 29, 2016. For official Rules and Regulations, go here.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post. All opinions are 100% my own and that of This Lil Piglet.