It’s been a hot summer here on the prairies of Canada. When the heat comes the rainy nights follow, just enough to keep everything wet and lush. Our berry bushes have really taken off this year and are ripe for the picking with more than enough blueberries than I know what to do with so we’ve been busy baking. This Blueberry Crumb Cake was the first recipe I wanted to share; it’s similar to a pie but in a deliciously moist cake.
This cake isn’t short on sugary sweetness, bringing the full blueberry deliciousness to the surface. Sprinkled with chocolate shavings, I think you’ll enjoy a slice (or two – I won’t tell). This cake brings memories flooding back of summer days at grandma’s when she always had a treat ready for our tea time together.
If you like this recipe, try these other delicious blueberry recipes and let me know your thoughts in the comments below. Please check out my other recipes and I’d love if you’d pin it for later on Pinterest or follow along for other great recipes on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp rum or rum extract
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup sour cream
- 4 tbsp shaved semi-sweet chocolate
- 1½ cups blueberries, fresh
- ½ cup icing/confectioners sugar
- 1 tbsp chocolate shavings for the top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix butter, white sugar, eggs and rum together, add flour and mix well with a spoon.
- Stir in sour cream.
- Butter a 9" pie pan, placing half the mixture on the bottom. Sprinkle the bottom with the 2 tbsp shaved chocolate, add blueberries and icing sugar.
- Cover with remaining mixture, sprinkle with remaining chocolate and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and a toothpick test comes out clean of batter, blueberries aside. Enjoy!