It doesn’t matter the time of year; if I can get away with one pot meals that are also delicious, I’m in. Saving time is a game plan on during the holidays when we’re busy enjoying various gatherings that keep us busy. This one pot Jambalaya is an easy under meal to heat up the holidays.
Back in my shift work days I made this recipe often. An easy and quick meal that made enough for leftovers to freeze but most of all, it wasn’t lacking on deliciousness.
One Pot Meals Made Easy
Made with garlic mennonite sausage but you can make it with chorizo or andouille sausage to heat it up a bit more. Fry up the chicken, drain, add remaining sausage and vegetables before adding the sauce and spices to simmer all in one skillet with little clean-up.
One Pot Meals: Jambalaya Flavours
Look at all those colours; I’m drooling looking at it but I wanted to add a special texture to this one pot Jambalaya with the addition of wild rice. Long grain white rice is also part of the recipe but I find wild rice adds to the rich level of tastes and texture in this dish.
Are you a hot spicy fan? Add more jalapeño’s and cayenne pepper to suit your taste. Lately, I have found the jalapeño’s I’ve purchased to be more than spicy in small amounts so just adjust the spice to your preference.
Like this recipe? Let me know in the comments below, check out my other recipes and I’d also love if you’d pin it for later on Pinterest or follow along for other great recipes on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Holiday Entertaining Guide
Through to the new year I will be sharing several delicious dessert and meal (or appetizer) recipes to help you entertain guests and family through the holidays in my Holiday Entertaining Guide. This recipe is part of the Holiday guide; make sure you check back for other new delicious recipes.
Other One Pot Meals/One Pan Meals
- Perogy Casserole
- Stuffed Cornish Hens with Roasted Vegetables
- Garlic Parmesan Sausage and Roasted Vegetables
- Sweet Potato Zucchini Quiche Nest
- Cinnamon Roll Breakfast Bake
- Creamy Shipwreck Casserole
- Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
- Crockpot Lime Chicken Chili
- Chicken and Bean Bake
- 1 large chicken breast, cubed
- 1 cup garlic sausage, sliced thinly
- 1 cup jumbo shrimp, deveined/tails removed
- 1 cup yellow bell pepper, cubed
- 1 cup red bell pepper, cubed
- 1 cup orange bell pepper, cubed
- 1 cup red onion, cubed
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 small jalapeño, deveined/deseeded and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ cups long grain white rice
- ¼ cup wild rice
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced for garnish
- In a large skillet, heat oil on medium heat and place chicken into the pan; toss with a wooden spoon until cooked through. Drain.
- Add sausage, peppers, onion, celery, jalapeño and garlic and continue to fry on medium heat with lid on (tossing a couple times) until slightly cooked, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add in remaining ingredients and stir until mixed. Bring mixture to a boil then reduce to simmer covered for 40 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Serve with green onion as garnish.