This recipe is an old family favourite. We’ve been using it for years as an addition to dessert trays and it’s so versatile that it makes it to pretty much every family occasion now. It’s called Salted Chocolate Shortbread Bars, and it’s just as it sounds, rich shortbread cookies and other nuts and seeds surrounded by good quality chocolate and topped with sea salt. It freezes exceptionally, and makes the perfect little treat on those nights when you’re craving something sweet.
Shortbread Bars Made Easy
I think the main reason this recipe has last so long around here is because of the prep time. I mean, YES this is a delectable slightly crunchy and sweet chocolate bar dessert, but an even bigger YES is that it only takes minutes to prepare (even less time if you cheat and buy store-bought cookies). The shortbread or digestible cookies are a must for this recipe, but you can customize it with any of your favourite nuts and seeds too. Shortbread cookies and pistachios with chocolate are a huge hit in this family. I’ve only started adding sea salt recently, but I’ve got a slight obsession with chocolate and salt. If adding the salted top isn’t your thing, simply leave it out!
A while ago I got into the habit of packing one little frozen slice to enjoy at the end of each fitness class. As I was laying at the end of class, all I could think about was that tiny little piece of chocolate in my bag, just waiting for me. Another lady noticed my weekly ritual, and since then the recipe has been passed on to a handful of ladies. While I don’t think bringing snacks to exercise class is always the best idea (I’m guessing it’s probably frowned upon), I do really think that sometimes just a bite of something sweet can really be all that is needed for a little bit of happiness.
This is also a great little treat to sneak inside a lunch bag, to let someone know you’re thinking of them. Or that you love them. Or that you hope they nail their math exam. Either way you slice it, these Salted Chocolate Shortbread Bars are a winner!
Follow for More
If you like this recipe, let me know your thoughts in the comments below. Please check out my other recipes and I’d love if you’d pin it for later on Pinterest or follow along for other great recipes on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- 450gr chocolate, such as semi sweet or bittersweet
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 10-12 shortbread or digestible cookies, in larger pieces
- ½ cup pepitas
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- tsp sea salt
- Prepare an 8 x 8 square pan with parchment, making sure it goes up the all sides.
- In a large bowl mix the cookies with the almonds and seeds; set aside.
- In a small bowl over simmering water melt the chocolate with the cream and butter. Stir until smooth.
- Add ⅔ of the melted chocolate to the cookie mixture and mix until combined. Spread in an even layer in the prepared pan. Pour and spread the remaining chocolate on top. Sprinkle with sea salt if desired.
- Refrigerate the bars for 2 hours and then cut into squares. These bars can be made ahead and freeze really well in an airtight container.