Whether it’s summer or not, in our house, we use our grill all year long. Our family loves grilled meats, veggies and fruit. We marinate, rub and baste all kinds of delicious dinners and have the leftovers for lunches. These Grilled Chicken Kabobs with Thyme and Peach Glaze have to be our newest favourite because they are not only delicious, they are super easy to throw together for a family meal or backyard barbecue gathering.
Juicy grilled chicken kabobs, thighs rubbed with chili flakes and fresh thyme and then basted over and over again with some of our best local peach jam.
Grilled Chicken Kabobs – Thighs vs. Breast
Friends, we were pretty happy with the results and because this main dish comes together so quickly and, I’ve used it many more times since then. I know others might be opting for the breast meat for chicken dishes, but I really am in favour of cooking with boneless thighs. In my opinion they are so moist, no matter the cooking method, and have so much more flavour. Once the grilling is done, these grilled chicken kabobs have a sweet glaze coating on them, some parts just slightly candied, with a little hit of heat from the chili flakes.
A little over 2 pounds of thighs gives us about 10 kabobs, which is just enough for dinner with maybe a few pieces left over to accompany my lunch salad the next day. And these grilled chicken kabobs are easily doubled or tripled for any kind of entertaining.
I find the key to grilling kabobs is to keep the heat at medium and continue to turn the kabobs so that all of the meat cooks evenly. Also, be sure to submerge the skewers in water for at least a half an hour before grilling to ensure they don’t burn. The grilled chicken kabob thighs are pretty fast too, and can be done around the 20 minute mark. A simple salad or some steamed corn on the cob is the perfect side to go with this easy dinner recipe.
Have you ever used home preserves or jellies to baste grilled meat? Happy summer friends.
FOLLOW FOR MORE
If you like this recipe, let me know your thoughts in the comments below. Please check out my other recipes and I’d love if you’d pin it for later on Pinterest or follow along for other great recipes on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Try these other grilling recipes:
- Tender & Delicious Grilled Marinated Steak
- Garlic & Herb Grilled Potatoes
- Ginger-Lime Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Corn Avocado Salsa
- Copycat Bonanza Chicken Monterey
- Spicy Hawaiian Grilled Chicken Skewers
- 2½ pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme, chopped leaves only
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp chili flakes
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 350 ml peach jam or preserves
- 10-12 skewers
- Submerge the skewers in a large dish of cold water while you prep the chicken.
- Heat the grill on high.
- Trim any fat off the chicken thighs and cut them in half if fairly large.
- Place the chicken in a large bowl and rub with the chopped thyme, chili flakes, salt, pepper and olive oil; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat the peach jam on low until it becomes a warm smooth, runny glaze. Be sure to stir often so it doesn't stick or burn.
- Thread the chicken on to the skewers, accordion style, aiming to get 2 halves of thigh on each skewer.
- Turn the grill down to medium heat and add the skewers. Cook, turning every 3-4 minutes, for 10 minutes.
- Using a brush, glaze each skewer with the warm jam. Cook for a few minutes. Continue to turn and glaze each skewer until the chicken is fully cooked, about 10 more minutes (the chicken will have been glazed 2 or 3 times on each side). Most of the jam will be gone.
- Serve immediately.