In the summer we love entertaining on the patio. It’s fun to have friends and family over for casual dinners outside, us having adult time while the kids run around. Grilling dinner on the barbecue is pretty easy but I sometimes struggle with idea’s for dessert. I love layer cakes, but when it’s hot out I don’t want to be icing cakes. This no fuss layered Strawberry Chocolate Cake is perfect for hot summer days.
Chocolate Cake in No Time
One of my most favourite desserts to serve in the summer is a deeply rich chocolate layer cake with a smooth cream cheese/whipped cream icing. A bowl of this super light icing comes together in less than 5 minutes with just 4 ingredients! I just smooth a layer in the middle, a big dollop on top and then pile the cake high with sweet and juicy strawberries. Done! I’ve made this so many times that I’ve lost count and it’s always met with rave reviews. And because the cake isn’t fully iced, it’s super portable. Just add the berries to the top when you reach your destination.
Speaking of how we can make any desserts WAY less daunting, I’m going to let you in on a secret. I always have 2 chocolate and 2 vanilla cake layers in my freezer at any given time. Because friends, impromptu get-together’s and dinner with friends is just how we roll around here, and I want something available to serve at a moments notice. This chocolate cake, especially, freezes so beautifully and your guests will be none the wiser about that little secret. The cake itself is so incredibly tender and has such a deep chocolate flavour. I give full props to the extra dark cocoa powder in there for all of the richness. Really, just a simple swirl of icing and some fresh strawberries is all it truly needs.
I for one, am really looking forward to the warmer weather and time outside. Whether you’re entertaining friends or just hanging out with family, I hope you’re having a sweet summer!
FOLLOW FOR MORE
If you like this recipe, let me know your thoughts in the comments below. Please check out my other recipes and I’d love if you’d pin it for later on Pinterest or follow along for other great recipes on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Try these other cake recipes:
- Blueberry Crumb Cake
- Rhubarb Sugar Cake
- No Bake Mini Lime Cheesecakes
- Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- Donut Pudding Cake with Custard Topping
- Pastel Layer Cake with Buttercream Filling
- Coconut & Date Sheet Cake
- For the cake
- 1½ cups of cake and pastry flour
- 1⅓ cups of sugar
- 1¼ tsp of baking soda
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ cup of dark cocoa powder
- ¼ cup of canola oil
- ⅔ cup of buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- ½ cup of strong , hot coffee
- 1½ pkg cream cheese (375gr)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed and divided
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1lb strawberries. cut in half
- 2 tbsp. strawberry jam
- Preheat oven to 350° Grease and cocoa two 8″ cake pans or spray with baking spray; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt, oil and buttermilk and mix on low speed to combine.
- Slowly pour the hot coffee into the bowl while continuing to mix on low speed. Once all of the coffee is in, beat on high for approximately 1 minute.
- Pour the batter evenly into prepared pans and bake for about 30 minutes or until cake tester inserted comes out clean (a few moist crumbs is ok too)..
- Cool cakes in pan for 5-10 minutes and then turn out onto a cooling rack. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the cream cheese, vanilla and powdered sugar until very smooth. Scrape down the bowl.
- On low speed add 2½ cups of the whipped topping and mix to combine; set aside.
- Warm the strawberry jam in the microwave for about 30 seconds to thin down the jam. Let it cool slightly if hot and mix it with the strawberries; set aside.
- To assemble the cake, place one cooled cake layer on a serving platter. Smooth half of the cream cheese whip on top.
- Place the other cake layer on top of the cream cheese layer. Smooth the remaining cream cheese whip on top. Add the remaining whipped topping on top of that.
- Pile the strawberries on the very top of the cake. Leave any that don't fit in a bowl beside the cake for serving.
- Store any left overs in the refrigerator.