We barbecue a lot around here. As a matter of fact, our barbecue is running all year long. In the dead of winter, I can be found outside, boots and hat on, happily grilling dinner. And I say happily grilling because I truly love a grilled dinner and I know that when I tell the kids what we’re having, there will be no arguments what so ever. Sausages and chicken and burgers seem to be our usual fare, but we are a family that does love a good grilled marinated steak every now and again. And while I don’t always buy the most expensive cut of meat, I do have a pretty spectacular steak spice marinade that will make any cut so tender and delicious.
Grilled Marinated Steak Tips
I usually throw my steaks in a resealable bag, with this incredible steak spice marinade, just before I head out the door to work. Leaving the steak in the marinade for a good chunk of the day helps to tenderize the meat and adds intense flavour. I toss the to-be grilled marinated steaks back in the fridge while I’m gone and remove it as soon as I get home – rule number 1 for cooking steak is to always let it sit at room temperature for a while before grilling.
I have found that some people complain that barbecued steak can be very tough. I would hazard a guess to say that the reason people are eating tough steak is because they are cooking the living daylights out of it.
A good grilled marinated steak, or any steak for that matter, really only requires a few minutes of grilling on each side and then an 8-10 minute rest. I am 100 percent in the camp of cooks who believe that all meats should have a resting period. I know that others believe this might be a myth (aka my husband), but resting meat allows juices to re-absorb so you have a juicy, tender piece of beef.
We enjoy our steak pretty simple, with a side salad or some grilled asparagus. And the steak marinade leaves such a wonderful flavour that barbecue sauce is never necessary on these delicious grilled marinated steaks!
I can promise you, that if you’re a steak lover, this recipe is definitely for you!
FOLLOW FOR MORE
If you like this Tender and Delicious Grilled Marinated Steak recipe, let me know your thoughts in the comments below. Please check out my other recipes and I’d love if you’d pin it for later on Pinterest or follow along for other great recipes on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Try these other grilled recipes:
- Garlic & Herb Grilled Potatoes
- Ginger-Lime Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Corn Avocado Salsa
- Copycat Bonanza Chicken Monterey
- Spicy Hawaiian Skewers
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 3 tsp Montreal steak spice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-2.5 pounds of top sirloin grilling steaks, or preferred cut of meat
- Place steaks in a large resealable bag; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, soy sauce, steak spice, and garlic. Pour the marinade into the bag with the steaks, making sure to move the liquid around to cover all of the meat. Place steaks in the fridge and marinate for at least one hour and up to eight (I've also done overnight marinating with excellent results).
- Remove the steaks from the fridge one hour before grilling. Heat the grill on high a few minutes to get it nice and hot. Turn it down to medium and place the steaks on.
- For medium rare steaks that are about ¾ of an inch thick, grill for 5 minutes without touching or flipping over. Turn the steaks over after 5 minutes and grill for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove the steaks from the grill and allow them to rest for 8-10 minutes on a plate or board (tent loosely with foil). Serve and enjoy!