Spinach and Mango Moru Curry Recipe
Hubs is somewhat of an amateur master chef; he absolutely loves cooking special creative dishes for us. We have quite the selection of spices already so there really was only a few ingredients he had to make a trip to the grocery store for but for yourself, if you plan on trying a new recipe just plan ahead to have everything on hand when you are ready.
Normally he would make a full dinner spread but he decided Spinach Mango Curry with a side of sliced hard boiled egg would be the perfect light lunch. The dish was very enjoyable having a sweet taste from the mango with a little kick of spice. If this is the first time you are trying East Indian food, this would be a great dish to try.
If you like the looks of the recipe or you try it, please pin the image on Pinterest or share via Twitter and Facebook. Happy cooking!
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 20 curry leaves
- 2 dried red chillies
- 1 cm (1/2") piece fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 green chilli, slit lengthwise
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 400g (14 oz) natural yogurt
- 25g (1 oz) spinach leaves, touch stalks removed
- 1 small mango, peeled and thinly sliced
- sea salt
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the mustard seeds and fry until they start to pop. Add the onion, curry leaves, dried red chillies and 1 tsp sea salt. Cook gently for 10 minutes or until the onion is softened and golden.
- Add the grated ginger and green chilli, cook, stirring for 1 minute. Stir in the turmeric and cook for 30 seconds.
- Take off the heat and slowly stir in the yogurt, then add the spinach and sliced mango. Heat gently, stirring for 1 minute then serve.
Wow, this looks amazing! Spinach and mango…I never would have thought to put these two together but I bet it was amazing…oh and by the way…your husband cooks! I need to show my husband this post! Pfff I don’t think he even knows where I keep the plates!!
It was delicious! Yes he cooks; it amazes me how well actually. I like to cook and am known to whip up something different now and then but the baking department is more my love of the kitchen where he loves creating great tasting dishes that are visually appealing too…we make a good pair that way. I cannot tell you how nice it is to get a break from making meals now and then. 😉