Rainbow Egg Salad Wrap
I’m always trying to get my kids to eat healthy foods from all the food groups but when it comes to the lunch box, it’s not always easy making meals that the kids like but will also give them a boost of energy to get them through the rest of their school day. After school because more of a challenge when the girls have to stay for volleyball practice; I make sure to pack enough power boosting lunch to keep them going strong.
Eggs are one of the easiest and main ways to pack a lunch full of nutrients to keep you kids energy levels at their peak throughout the day. There are many ways to incorporate eggs into the lunchbox:
- Hard Boiled Eggs – “The ultimate in nutrition and convenience. Burnbrae Farms has taken their well-known Naturegg Omega 3 shell eggs, hard cooked and peeled them for you. Perfect, ready-to-serve hard boiled eggs every time.” These convenience packs can be used as an addition to the lunchbox, sliced into a salad or made into egg salad for wraps or sandwiches.
- Mini Quiches with Feta – These mini quiches can be made up ahead; stored in the fridge they are just as tasty cold. Pop them in the lunchbox all week for an added energy boost. If your child doesn’t like feta, replace it with cheddar cheese.
- California-Style Layered Egg Salad – If your kids are like mine, they do not have access to a microwave to warm up lunches. This layered egg salad is best served cold and the perfect alternative to regular sandwiches.
- Shaker Lemonade – If you have a thermos that will keep your beverages cold, a Shaker Lemonade will be a refreshing treat and added energy boost from home.
I like to pack my kids lunches full of all the food groups and try to sneak in veggies and fruits whenever possible. We took this classic egg salad recipe up a notch for a savory taste with the addition of sliced nectarine, corn and avocado.
- 4 eggs, hard boiled & mashed
- 1 green onion chopped
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp of pickle juice (lemon will work)
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- ⅛ tsp paprika
- ⅛ tsp garlic powder (optional)
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 nectarine, thinly sliced
- 1 cob of corn, cooked and sliced
- 4 wraps of your choice
- Mix cooked and mashed eggs with mayonnaise, onion, pickle juice and spices thoroughly.
- Spread a thick layer of the egg salad mixture in the middle of each wrap, placing slices of avocado, nectarine and corn and roll the wrap, folding in edges part way through.
- Keep refrigerated if not eating right away.
Disclosure: I am a Burnbrae Farms ambassador. I received compensation in exchange for my participation in this program however this does not determine my viewpoint. The opinions on this blog are my own.