Zesty Honey-Beer Pickles
Yes you read that right, BEER! We’ve been pickling like mad here on the farm. Our cucumbers didn’t turn out well this year but my in-laws did and they decided not to do any pickling this year so we were happy to take their mounds of cucumbers off their hands. These pickles are a little spicy and sweet with a zip, definitely a great addition as a garnish for cocktails or side to a meal.
- 3½ lbs 4" picking cucumbers
- 1 can of beer
- 1¾ cups water
- 1¾ cups cider vinegar
- 1 cup honey
- ¼ cup pickling salt
- 7 cloves smashed garlic
- 7 tsp whole multicolour peppercorns
- 7 tsp mustard seeds
- Clean cucumbers and remove stems and blossom ends. Cut cucumbers into ½" slices, pictured here in a horizontal slice but you could do length-wise as well.
- In a large pot, combine beer, water, vinegar, honey and pickling salt, bringing to a boil. Stir gently to dissolve honey and skim off any foam, approximately 10 minutes.
- Pack sliced cucumbers loosley into 7 sterilized pint sized canning jars with a ½" space at the top. Add one clove of garlic, 1 tsp peppercorns and 1 tsp mustard seeds to each jar.
- Fill each jar leaving the ½" space at the top with the hot vinegar mixture. Wipe jars clean of any drips and secure lids and rims tightening by hand.
- In a large pot or a boiling canner, bring to a roiling boil and let boil for 10 minutes to process. Remove jars carefully and set to cool on a wire rack.
- Let sit for at least one week before serving. Good up to one year, if sealed and stored in a cool and dry place.
I didn’t get enough cucumbers to pickle this year, but tomatoes and well I am in zucchini hell (sorry). I’ve made salsa, but will have to make more since they are already into it.
What type of beer did you use?
Regular beer, not lite, but any beer will do really.
love these. this is first time to see this. please add me to your distribution list for canning and recipes.
I want to be placed on email for canning and other recipes. Already planning as soon as farmers market opens, I will be first on line.
Can you please tell me what size the can of beer used is since beer comes in different sizes
Regular sized beer cans 🙂