Cozy up With a Bowl of Chicken Sweet Potato Stew #chickendotca
As much as I love the beautiful colours of fall, with the trees turning comes cooler weather. For fear of making it true I will not mention the s-word in my vocabulary but usually by Halloween we’re seeing some of the white stuff and freezing our behinds off already. Early into fall I make a habit of bringing out the slow cooker; there’s just something about it that makes me feel all cozy and content. Beyond the warmth of the meal, the slow cooker seems to come hand and hand with cooler weather.
Like most Halloweens, I don’t have time to stand at the stove and cook a meal before my little ghouls and goblins throw on their parka’s underneath costumes and make their way spreading the holiday spirit trick-or-treating door to door. Before they gorge on candy I make sure the kids have a belly full of a healthy meal, like this hearty bowl of this Chicken & Sweet Potato Stew from Chicken.ca. It’s easy to run out for fast food when short on time but throwing ingredients into the slow cooker first thing in the morning takes no time at all and makes sure your family is eating well before heading out for the holiday.
- 4 cups (1 L) sweet potatoe(s), peeled and cubed
- 2.5 lb (1 kg) bone-in, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 cups (500 mL) brown mushrooms, fresh, sliced
- 1 cup (250 mL) red onion(s), diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup (125 mL) dry white wine
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) rosemary, dried
- ¼ tsp (1.25 mL) salt
- ¼ tsp (1.25 mL) black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 cup (250 mL) green peas, frozen
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) parsley, minced, for garnish
- Peel sweet potatoes. Cut in half and then into cubes approximately 2 inches (5 cm) each. Add to the bottom of the crock of slow cooker.
- Top with chicken thighs.
- Slice mushrooms, dice onions and mince garlic. Scatter over chicken and sweet potatoes.
- Pour over white wine and sprinkle with dried rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on LOW 6-8 hours (HIGH 3-4 hours). Thirty minutes before completion scatter over frozen green peas. Cover and continue cooking.
- To serve, place chicken and sweet potatoes on a platter. Scatter with chopped parsley. Pour juices into a dish and serve on the side as au jus.
One lucky Canadian winner will receive a cool weather comfort gift pack from Chicken Farmers of Canada consisting of:
- 1 stainless steel thermos
- 4 soup/stew bowls
It’s easy to enter, just tell me what are some of your favourite family-friendly ways to keep cozy in cooler weather in the comments below and make sure to fill out the rafflecopter form. Bonus entries available!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Disclosure: I am participating in the Chicken Farmers of Canada campaign by ShesConnected. I received compensation in exchange for my participation in this campaign. The opinions on this blog are my own.