Cherry Bomb Brownies
Valentine’s Day is coming up and I seem to get into the mood for red hearts, flowers, sweet desserts and glittery things. Having little ones at home usually doesn’t allow for much romantic time alone but I really don’t mind. I find it fun to share the love inspired festive baking, crafts and romantic dinners with the kids too.
Hearts are my favourite shape; ever since I can remember I have loved them which makes Valentine’s Day even more loveable to me. I remember back to grade 4 when my best friend bought me a glittery red heart key-chain; to this day just the thought of it makes me smile.
Naturally when I think of Valentine’s Day, I think of chocolate and the colour red. This year I’m sharing my chewy Cherry Bomb Brownies because, well, the name says it all. Enjoy!
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- ¾ cup butter
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts
- 1½ cup maraschino cherries, drained (about 1 jar)
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Mix sugar, butter and water in a large bowl.
- Add in eggs and vanilla.
- Combine flour, cocoa and baking powder in a medium bowl and stir into butter mixture.
- Stir in nuts.
- Spread into a greased 9X13 square pan.
- Pour cherries over the top and press into chocolate brownie mix until chocolate almost covers the cherries.
- Bake in a preheated 350 F. oven for 30 minutes or until wood toothpick inserted into the centre comes out slightly sticky.
- Cool completely, dust with powdered sugar and cut into small squares.
For more Valentine’s Day themed recipes, check out these Valentine’s Day Cupcakes, 2 Ingredient Valentine Bites, Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies, Valentine Cupcake Candy Cups and Skinny Raspberry Milkshake.