All but one of my kids absolutely love shrimp. I prefer the cooked version but my kids prefer the cold cocktail shrimp and on occasion when we start to get bored with our meals, I change it up with an appetizer style meal; the shrimp never last long. This isn’t your typical salad; this salad is served warm. What I love about it is how fresh the ingredients are and the vibrant colours. I used butterfly shrimp for this recipe but you could use regular shrimp and just toss it in with the rest of the pan fried ingredients to take on the flavours.
What are your favourite shrimp recipes?
- 1 pound large shrimp—shelled, deveined and butterflied
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 500g container of grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 500g container of mushrooms, quatered
- 1 bunch of asparagus, bottoms removed; sliced into 1-2" pieces
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp dill
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- juice of one lemon
- ¼ cup olive oil
- parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top
- In a medium skillet, heat 1 tbsp of the oil on medium heat, add shrimp, add juice of half the lemon and fry over moderate heat until cooked through, approximately 6 minutes. Set aside but keep warm.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in the pan. Add the chopped onion and garlic cooking over moderate heat until onions are golden brown.
- Add in asparagus and continue to cook for another 2 minutes covered on medium heat before adding remaining ingredients and stirring occasionally for another 3-4 minutes.
- Place on a plate, topped with shrimp and sprinkled with parmesan cheese before serving warm.
For more Shrimp recipes check out: Tequila Lime Shrimp, Grilled Shrimp Skewers, Curry Shrimp with Pineapple, Shrimp Creole, and Garlic Shrimp and Spinach Tostada, Ginger Hoisin Shrimp Stir-Fry