Strawberry Cheesecake Hand Pies
Strawberries are one of my favourite fruits to use in recipes; they just seem to compliment recipes nicely. Today is national Strawberry Shortcake day. I love Strawberry Shortcake but I wanted to make something a little different to celebrate, Strawberry Cheesecake Hand Pies. Apparently these made me the “best mom ever” to my sassy little 4 year old. They were very yummy but I suspect that had more to do with letting her help me make these adorable hand sized pie pockets.
This gorgeous KitchenAid stand mixer makes an appearance in my kitchen almost daily but what I love most about it is that as soon as I pull it out, my littles come running. This recipe is easy and perfect for little helpers to pour ingredients into the mixer and watch it work it’s magic on the pie filling. I think my littles equate the KitchenAid mixer appearance on my counter to yummy goodness. I have to agree with that synopsis.
I made my crust but you can easy use packaged pie crusts for the dough. I purchased a circular cut & seal tool from a garage sale with big plans; I cannot tell you how easy it made these hand pies but you definitely don’t need one. You can use a glass with an opening of about 3″ to cut your tops and bottoms for the hand pies and seal with a fork. Cut your shapes, 2 to each pie, fill with 1 tbsp of filling, place the top on and press a fork around the outside perimeter of the pie circle to seal before baking.
Grease a baking pan and brush each pie with melted butter. For that sweet and salty flavour I sprinkled a little course salt on top of each pie before placing in the oven for 12 minutes on 375 degrees F.
These would make a great gift for teachers, a cute dessert to take along on a picnic or a tasty tea party treat with your little one.
If you like this recipe, I would love if you would pin it and follow me along on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, Google+ and Twitter.
- 1 block cream cheese
- ½ cup strawberry jam
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter, cut into small pieces
- ½ cup cold water
- 1 tbsp melted butter for basting
- 1 tsp course salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a mixer blend softened cream cheese with jam until blended. Place in refrigerator until dough is ready.
- Combine the flour and sugar in a large bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until it’s in pea-size pieces.
- Slowly pour in water, mixing just until the dough comes together with your hands. Add a little more water if necessary but don't over mix the dough.
- Shape the dough into a ball, cover in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for approximately 30 minutes.
- Roll out dough onto a floured surface until about ⅛" thick. Using your cutting tool, cut out two for every hand pie.
- Fill with 1 tbsp of filling in the centre of each bottom, place another cut out on top and seal edges with a fork or sealing tool.
- Place each filled pie on a greased baking pan, brush lightly with melted butter and sprinkle with course salt. Bake on 375 for 12 minutes or until golden brown. Do not overcook.
- Serves approximately 16 hand pies.
Looking for more Strawberry Desserts?
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
- Mini Strawberry Cheesecake Bites
- Chocolate Cake with Strawberry Filling and Ganache Topping
My word my mouth is watering..these look amazing! And what a fun post…the look on Ro’s face is the best! 🙂
Decided to keep it fun this week with the littles. I loved this look on his face; he was so excited to watch the mixer at work lol
Pingback: Strawberry Rhubarb Galette - Frugal Mom Eh!
They are so pretty! I’m going to try and make them, but mine never will look so neatly done.
Pingback: Strawberry Rhubarb Pie - A Pretty Life In The Suburbs
Yum! I love pies of any kind! And the look on your little guy’s face….so priceless!
Looks yummy, will be making these this summer
Pingback: Be Awesome Link Party #2 | Satori Design for Living