Best Beet Borscht Soup with Barley
I love the beautiful colours of fall and with that comes cooler days. This morning I ran outside to grab some beets from my garden, one of the only vegetable left there, and the crisp cold air had me running back to the house in short order. One of my favourite ways to warm up on a cold day like today is homemade soup. This is the Best Beet Borscht Soup with Barely and one of our family favourites. My mother-in-law makes this different than I do but I like to have little added flavour to mine. Topped off with a spoonful of sour cream and parsley, this soup is good with or without the barely.
- 3 medium beets, peeled and cubed (2 cups)
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced (1 cup)
- 3 medium baking potatoes, peeled and cubed (1 cup)
- ⅓ cup pearl barley
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 8 cups water
- 1 tbsp sour cream, for topping/bowl
- parsley for garnish
- In a soup pot, heat the oil and fry the garlic until golden brown.
- Add, vegetables, spices, honey and water (everything except the last two ingredients listed), stir well.
- Bring soup to a rolling boil on medium to high heat for 5 minutes and reduce to simmer for the remaining 35 minutes.
- With a soup ladle, spoon out each bowl of borscht, top with 1 tbsp of sour cream and garnish with fresh parsley before serving.
- Serve hot.
For other root vegetable recipes, try these:
- Pickled Beets
- Paleo Veggie Hamburger Soup
- Carrot Soup
- Curried Chicken with Sweet Potato Stew
- Red Velvet Cupcakes coloured with Beets
- Oven Roasted Vegetables
- Garlic Herb Grilled Potatoes
- Tex-Mex Baked Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Cupcakes with Buttercream Walnut Frosting
- Egg Potato Salad
Pingback: Oven Roasted Root Vegetables - Family Food And Travel
The colours of that soup are amazing! Now if only I could get hubby to eat beets….
Oh, I adore beets! I’m going to make this soup this weekend! We all love beets in our family! Thanks for the recipe!
This looks wonderful. It’s so beautiful. I haven’t grown beets yet, but I think I need to.
Thank you! I’ve always loved the beautiful deep colour of red beets and they are so good for your health too. If you end up making it, let me know how you like it 🙂
I love borscht! I’ve got to give your recipe a try!
I love beets but never thought to put them with barley. Must-try.