This long weekend the family and I seeded our garden. Having freshly grown vegetables and fruit nurtured by your own hard work and sweat has meaning beyond words. It not only gives us the ability to feed our kids quality foods but make lasting memories in the process. Just like the annual garden planting, we look forward to our first Rhubarb recipes of the season, like our family favourite Rhubarb Strawberry Crisp.
I’m lucky to have 3 very large and healthy Rhubarb plants to pick from. The key to tasty Rhubarb is to pick early and when the stalks aren’t overly large otherwise you can expect a woody unpleasant taste; when it reaches that flavour, toss it into the compost.
Did you know Rhubarb is considered a vegetable?
Our family has many Rhubarb recipes we consider favourites but Rhubarb Strawberry Crisp has to be at the top of our list. It’s easy to make, packed full of flavour and makes a perfect dessert for a Sunday dinner.
To make crisps extra special, I filled mini waffle bowls with crisp and topped with whipped cream, fresh strawberries and mint for individual desserts. You don’t have to go to the trouble of individually made desserts like these but I think they make a cute presentation for company. If you don’t have waffle bowls, small mason jars would look just as lovely.
If you like this Rhubarb recipe, I’d love if you’d pin it on Pinterest or share. You may also like to try my Rhubarb Slush. It’s a refreshing summer beverage for backyard barbecues or summer parties.
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 cups fresh rhubarb, sliced
- 2 cups strawberries, sliced
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- whipped cream or ice cream for garnish
- In a large bowl, mix white sugar and cornstarch. Add rhubarb and strawberries and toss to coat. Place in the bottom of an 8 inch baking dish or casserole bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix the remaining ingredients (not including garnish) until it is crumbly; sprinkle over rhubarb and strawberries and patted down.
- Bake at 350 F. for 45 minutes or until golden brown on top and fruit is bubbling and tender.
- Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream if desired.