Lunchbox Ideas, Egg and Hummus Hulk Sandwich
School is back and moms everywhere are rejoicing. As much as I loved having my adorable children home for the summer, I admit that I am a little excited about packing lunch boxes again. I start the year with good intentions and promises of tasty contents when my kids open their lunchbox each day. That quickly fades and I’m left struggling for ideas.
Summer Fresh makes it easy to keep that lunchbox exciting long into the school year with dips, hummus and sauces.
One of my kids favourite lunches are egg salad sandwiches; I am not complaining. Eggs are high in nutrients and protein to power their growing bodies through the day. Replacing the mayonnaise with Summer Fresh Avocado Hummus is an easy alternative with added benefits. Make egg salad sandwiches easy in green with this souped-up version of a classic, the Egg and Hummus HULK Sandwich.
Kids are picky and most won’t appreciate this sandwich in all it’s colour splendour. Lucky for me, my youngest loves everything on this Hulk Sandwich except sprouts, which she not-so-lovingly calls grass. Have your little ones help create their own smashed Hulk sandwiches; whether they keep it simple with just egg and hummus or add the rest of the veggies, rest assured this sandwich is a deliciously healthy one.
If you’re looking for more great back to school recipe ideas, head over to the Summer Fresh Sandwich recipes site or create your own. Summer Fresh has several dips and hummus products to choose from to suit your taste. Whip up easy sandwiches recipes full of flavour and add some flair to the lunchbox.
* For photo purposes I made the sandwiches on top of the pita, rather than inside the pocket.
- 6 hard boiled eggs, mashed
- 1/2 container of Avocado Hummus
- 1/2 container of Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- 6 small pitas, opened into pockets
- 1/4 cup green pepper, diced
- 12 grape tomatoes, red (yellow optional), quartered
- Alfalfa Deli Sprouts
- Mix together mashed eggs with half of the container of avocado hummus.
- Spread roasted red pepper hummus inside the pita pocket and scoop a generous amount of egg and avocado hummus salad into the pocket.
- Place 4 quarters of tomato, dice green pepper and sprouts into the pita pocket spreading ingredients equally over the 6 pockets. If you prefer to make one pocket at a time, store ingredients in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.