Pineapple Zucchini Crumble Muffins
Despite a few days here and there of warmer weather, fall has arrived and that means the last honey harvest has come and winter preparation starts. Daily life continues with the hustle of school and activities. When you have five kids and 4 are school age, a lot of lunches and snacks have to be made. These Pineapple Zucchini Crumble Muffins are a tasty treat for everyone in the family.
Our garden always has far too many zucchini’s this time of year. I feel like we don’t plant too many but then my garden is overtaken by the invasion of the zucchini plants. Either I plant more than I realize or the soil in my garden offers the perfect growing conditions for zucchini. Nevertheless, I hate to waste so many fresh vegetables and try to cook recipes like Chocolate Zucchini Cake, Peach Zucchini Jam and Pineapple Zucchini Loaf to use up some.
For this recipe I didn’t covert the sugar to honey but if you prefer to do so, you can try this one. I personally prefer the sugar crumble on this recipe.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 (8 oz) can of crushed pineapple
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Crumble Topping...
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup flour
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease muffin pan or line with paper liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix all dry ingredients and create a well in the centre.
- Reserve 1/4 cup of the juice from the can of pineapple, pouring it into the centre of the dry ingredients; along with all but the pineapple, mixing well.
- Mix crumble ingredients together and set aside.
- Fill muffin cups 1/2 full and layer the pineapple and then the crumble on top of each muffin, using the topping ingredients evenly over the muffins.
- Bake at 375 for 30 mins or until golden brown.