Christmas Eve is coming and those of you with kids will soon be getting ready for the big night. Every year we leave cookies for Santa and reindeer food, which really entails oatmeal mixed with glitter for effect. This year I decided to make a cookie we love for cookie exchanges, drop-in visits and, on this occasion, a plate for Santa on Christmas Eve, my grandmother-in-laws, Santa’s Whiskers Cookies.
This is a very easy to make recipe with minimal steps involved and one of my favourite cookies at Christmas to have on hand. This also makes an excellent recipe for freezer storage; just keep frozen in a roll and slice and bake cookies as needed.
If you like this recipe, let me know in the comments below, check out my other recipes and I’d love if you’d pin it for later on Pinterest or follow along for other great recipes on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
For a walkthrough of the recipe, take a look at this 44 second video.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2½ cups flour
- ¾ cup chopped cherries
- ¾ cup flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix all ingredients together well and roll into a long roll shape about 2" in circumference.
- Wrap roll in wax paper and saran wrap, twisting the ends. Place the roll in the freezer for 1 hour.
- Remove from freezer and wrapping, slice with a sharp knife ¼" thick.
- Place cookie slices on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 12 mins or until lightly browned.