Donut Bread Pudding Cake with Vanilla Custard Topping
I confess, I did not come up with the original recipe. This is my Canadian version of the original Krispy Kreme® Breading Pudding dessert that I had the pleasure of experiencing at Lulu’s Restaurant in Destin, Florida. Let me repeat, Krispy Kreme®.
I expected the recipe to be a lot more involved but found it quite easy to make, once I had all the ingredients. This is the slice of heaven I had at the restaurant last month; just look at that piece just oozing deliciousness; naturally, I had to recreate that.
The Vanilla Custard and pecans just makes this dessert even more delicious. The flavours remind me of Christmas but I say, why wait for Christmas?! I think LuLu’s is onto something and clearly knows what makes for a very UnChristmas dessert.
Once you take a bite, you will be closing your eyes to take in all the bursts of flavours like I did. My oh-so-Canadian version featured half Honey Cruller Donuts, half glazed donuts and Maple Cream Liqueur.
Donut cake smothered in custard; can you really go wrong? I think not.
If you like this recipe, let me know in the comments below, check out my other recipes and I’d love if you’d pin it for later on Pinterest or follow along for other great recipes on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 3 eggs yolks
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup Maple Cream Liqueur
- 12 glazed Donuts
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Vanilla Custard Topping...
- ¾ cup milk
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9" round spring cake pan with cooking spray and then wrap the base in parchment paper and the tightly with foil.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat cream, milk, egg and yolks, honey, spices and liqueur until frothy.
- Break donuts into 1" pieces and place in the cake pan, pressing down.
- Pour cream mixture over the donuts pieces and press down again.
- Sprinkle pecans over the top, then cut up 1 tbsp of butter into small pieces over the top.
- Place in the oven and bake for 1 hour or until it's browned and a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean.
- For the Vanilla Custard topping: Combine cream, milk, ¼ cup sugar and heat while stirring; do not boil.
- In a separate medium bowl, beat egg yolks and remaining ¼ cup sugar.
- Add warm milk mixture by the spoon and whisk, adding a small amount then whisking until the egg mixture is the same temperature as the heated cream mixture. Then add in the remaining mixture to each other, whisking to mix thoroughly before placing back on the stove. Add vanilla then ccook on low to medium heat, stirring constantly, until the custard thickens. Remove and pour over cake before serving.
If you’d like the original recipe, Krispy Kreme® UnChristmas Breading Pudding with Vanilla Custard Sauce, you can grab it in this cookbook by Lucy Buffet herself: LuLu’s Kitchen: A Taste of the Gulf Coast Good Life. With so many delicious Gulf Coast recipes, you will not be disappointed. Or simply head to the nearest LuLu’s in the Gulf Coast for a slice of this delicious dessert.
This sounds insanely delicious!!!!!
Great recipe! Looks so yummy!
Oh my, this sounds and looks amazing. I know my husband would LOVE this, definitely going to have to make it for a treat! Thanks for sharing!
this looks insanely good!!
oh.my.goodness! this looks absolutely delicious. not going to lie, my mouth literally dropped open when I saw this. Love the added pecans and custard to it. I will have to give this a try for myself 🙂
This sounds really good!
omgosh this looks delicious!! I’d have to make it for a potluck or something, otherwise I’d eat the whole thing.