Campfire Spinach Dip in Spaghetti Squash
Camping season is well into the swing of things and as usual, I’m always on the search of campfire recipes. I like to create delicious recipes that are easy to prepare for the camping crowd; if I can prepare my meals ahead and simply throw it on the fire when I need it, even better.
This Campfire Spinach Dip in Spaghetti Squash is my current favourite. It’s easy to prepare ahead and put it on the fire to be ready when all those hungry mouths come back from a hike searching for a snack. Trust me, your campers will thank you.
Recently I was challenged to a month of no carbs. Gasp. If you know me, you know I have a love affair with bread and pasta but I also know that I tend to over-do it and end up feeling terribly bloated for the days following my carb binge. For this reason I joined this challenge which is really more of a low-carb challenge; good carbs and whole foods are welcome, carbs with refined sugars, white flour and starch are being avoided for the next month (as much as possible).
This is also the reason I am choosing healthier alternatives to some of my favourite recipes because a girl still needs her cheesy dip, damn it. Now, if you’re saying cheese isn’t exactly low-fat, I’m here to tell you whole foods with natural fats are good for you…in moderation. I hear that little voice; it speaks in my own head. Portion-control is definitely where I need help.
Whether or not you are looking for low-carb recipes or just looking for a deliciously easy recipe for your next campout, this Campfire Spinach and Spaghetti Squash Dip will make your must-have list. Prepare this recipe ahead, wrap in parchment paper then foil and bring along veggie chips for a tasty and healthier alternative to a classic crowd pleaser.
If you like this recipe, try these other delicious low-carb recipes and let me know your thoughts in the comments below. Please check out my other recipes and I’d love if you’d pin it for later on Pinterest or follow along for other great recipes on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- ONE-PAN GARLIC PARMESAN SAUSAGE AND ROASTED VEGETABLES
- HONEY ROASTED ROOT VEGETABLES WITH BUTTERNUT SQUASH
- CHICKEN BUTTERNUT SQUASH VEGETABLE SOUP
- 21 HEALTHY RECIPE IDEAS 21 DAY FIX APPROVED
- BEST BEET BORSCHT SOUP WITH BARLEY (substitute sweet potato for white potato)
- VEGGIE EGG POWER CUPS
- SKINNY COCONUT CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP
- 1 - 8 oz package of reduced fat cream cheese, softened
- ¾ cup greek yogurt
- ⅓ cup diced onion
- 1 jar of artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 2 cups baby spinach, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ⅓ cup shaved parmesan cheese
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- Serve with Sweet Potato Chips
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Cut the squash lengthwise, deseed.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix all dip ingredients together.
- Fill the inside of the squash with dip mixture to slightly heaping.
- Wrap in parchment paper and then in foil to secure the base, dome over with foil to cook.
- Cook on the campfire over well stoked flame (not touching the package underneath), on the barbecue at medium heat or in the oven at 500 degrees for approximately 1 hour or until a fork can poke into the outer pulp and easily separate the squash from the peel.
- Remove from heat and remove top foil to scrape the squash from the peel using a fork; mix squash with the dip before serving. with a fork for scooping.
- Serve with sweet potato chips and enjoy.