Cabbage Roll Soup with Wild Rice Recipe
There are a few comfort food favourites I like to make when the weather is so cold I don’t want to leave me house and cabbage rolls have to top that list. I love making mine with sour cabbage leaves but the batch makes enough for an army so I make some and save some for this delicious Cabbage Roll Soup that will have you thanking me.
Cabbage Roll Soup – Flavour
The flavour of cabbage between regular and sour is a personal choice but I feel like sour cabbage gives it another depth of deliciousness. You can use long grain white rice instead of wild grain however I find this adds some texture and taste to the recipe.
This Cabbage Roll Soup recipe makes a large soup pot full, enough for a large family and a great homemade gift idea for friends and neighbours when they may need a pick me up with a mason jar of comfort food on their doorstep. It can be stored in the fridge for up to a week with the top sealed.
Like this recipe? Let me know in the comments below, check out my other recipes and I’d also love if you’d pin it for later on Pinterest or follow along for other great recipes on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 8 cups chopped sour cabbage leaves
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup sliced celery
- ½ cup parsley, chopped
- 1 cup green beans, sliced bite size pieces
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 tbsp worcestershire
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 8 cups water
- In a large soup pot, warm the cooking oil and cook the hamburger until cooked through. Drain the excess oil.
- Place the pot with the hamburger back on the stove and add the remaining ingredients and stir until mixed. Bring to a rolling boil and reduce to simmer for 40 minutes.
- Serve warm.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator.