10 Baby Shower Gift Ideas for New Moms
As a first time mom, my first baby shower was a time of joy and excitement. Although I appreciated all gifts, I had baby shower gift ideas in mind when I created my baby shower registry based on a vision I had when the new baby came home. Little did I know, there were a lot of things I would need in the first weeks and months as a new mom – like an endless amount of diapers.
The first thought when thinking of baby shower gift ideas is to gift something the new mom will adore. Of course, we all want to buy the cutest baby gifts but usually that’s more for us than it is for the new baby. First time moms don’t realize all that they’ll need or use until they are settled into the throes of the first weeks of parenthood.
10 Baby Shower Gift Ideas New Moms Appreciate
With these 10 baby shower gift ideas, new moms will have an easier transition into motherhood and appreciate the thoughtful efforts.
- Safety 1st – Baby-proofing a house is a necessity of bringing home a new baby. Although you don’t really need to worry about it until the baby starts moving around, it’s a cost to the new parents to ensure cupboards are secured, plugs are covered and baby gates are ready to go for when the baby needs them. A safety care package is the perfect prep kit for new parents to ease their minds.
- Necessities – One thing for sure, babies are messy which means they need A LOT of supplies. Diapers of all sizes are one item that seems to get missed at baby showers. Generally, babies are in diapers for the first 2-3 years of life; imagine the number of diapers. It’s great to get newborn sizes but new babies often put on so much weight in the first few weeks that they quickly grow into the next size of diaper quickly. That is why I love Pampers! They make the transition between sizes easy with consistency and features you can trust.
- Big Ticket Items – Bringing home a new baby not only changes the dynamic of the household but puts a dent in the new parents finances. Grandparents, friends or co-workers can purchase a larger item together that the new mom can use and appreciate, like the stroller, crib or high chair on her baby shower registry.
- Feeding Aids – Respecting the mothers feeding decisions, a gift of nursing or formula supplies will be well used. As a nursing mom, I appreciated the extra touches, like a nursing pillow for my comfort and a breast pump for the days when I decided I needed time away from baby or transitioning back to work.
- Cleaning Gift Certificate – Gifting a cleaning service to help out for the first couple months with a newborn will take the workload off the new mom, leaving her newfound chaos to what matters most, bonding with her new baby.
- Babysitting – Leaving a newborn is the last thing new moms want to think about but close friends or family can offer to come by to watch the new baby while mom naps, runs to a doctor appointment or grabs a few groceries (and a breath of fresh air). This offer can mean a lot to new moms who can end up feeling secluded and restricted in the first weeks to months with a new baby.
- Freezer Meals – This seems like a strange idea for a gift at a baby shower but one that means so much for new moms when sleepless hours and days go by and new parents are figuring out their new roles. The last thing new moms want to worry about at the end of the day is cooking a scratch meal. Freezer meals are easy to pop in the oven and offer sanity to new moms in the first few weeks with a newborn.
- Clothing – In the first days, hand mitts, sleepers and receiving blankets are basic necessities and you can’t have enough. Babies grow quickly in the first weeks to months of life, putting on the pounds and outgrowing their clothes quickly.
- Medical Supplies – One of the best gifts I ever received was an infant ear thermometer and infant acetaminophen because it always seems that our little ones spike a temperature at inopportune times, like the middle of the nights when pharmacies are closed.
- Gift Cards – All gifts are truly appreciated by a new mom, keeping her style and nursery vision in mind. After-all, having a baby is an intimate time for new parents and often part of the special time is a new moms baby purchase desires. Gift cards to larger stores where the new mom can put towards some necessities or favourite things are always a good idea.
Grab your FREE coupons: Since diapers are such a missed essential at Baby Shower’s, I am excited to share a coupon from Pampers diapers to help you save big!
Like this post? Let me know in the comments below, pin it on Pinterest and check out these other parenting tips:
- 10 Tips for the First Days with a New Baby
- Tips to Prepare Siblings for the New Baby
- 6 Daylight Savings Time Tips for Moms and Babies
- 4 Self-care Tips for new Preemie Moms
Disclosure: I am a member of the Pampers Baby Panel. Compensation and other special perks have been provided as a part of my affiliation with this program. All opinions are those of my own.