Did you all grow up with those fresh radish flowers that seemed to make an appearance on every special occasion vegetable tray? Me too. But, that’s not all all they are. Roasted vegetables are hot for the season and these roasted radishes will win you over.
Back in the day, these red beauties were slit in specific spots and then left overnight in cold water to “bloom” and spread out into floral designs. And I’m pretty sure that for the most part, when the veggies were gone, most of the radish flowers were still there. For some, that’s all they think of when they think of radishes, a garnish. Or maybe a thinly sliced, crunchy addition to a garden salad. But that’s pretty much it.
Guys, I’ve recently discovered that this spicy root vegetable is so underrated and under-appreciated (and so pretty!). I’ve completely done a 360 when I think of these beautiful and bright vegetables and I’m so happy that markets are currently abundant with them. A suggestion to try them roasted has completely won me, and this whole family over.
Roasted Vegetables…Radishes? Heck Yeah!
A few weeks ago I acquired two large bunches and a friend suggested that I try roasting them like roasted vegetables. I sautéed them in a little bit of fresh thyme and sea salt and then threw them in the oven. I thought, worse case scenario I’m out some radishes. But when they came out of the oven and I tried a few I was completely blown away! Roasted, tender radishes take on a slightly sweet and mild flavour that is paired with peppery fresh thyme and sea salt. I kept popping those little nuggets into my mouth, completely thrilled with that night’s side dish.
Friends, I urge you to move away from the old standard of using fresh radishes for salads or garnish. I mean, of course I still eat them fresh, they’re lovely and crunchy and spicy! But make roasted radishes your next side dish and you’ll be so pleasantly surprised that you won’t look at them the same again!
FOLLOW FOR MORE
If you like this recipe, let me know your thoughts in the comments below. Please check out my other recipes and I’d love if you’d pin it for later on Pinterest or follow along for other great recipes on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Try these other roasted vegetables recipes:
- Honey Roasted Root Vegetables with Butternut Squash
- One Pan Stuffed Cornish Hens and Roasted Vegetables
- One Pan Garlic Sausage and Roasted Vegetables
- 2 pounds fresh radishes, about 2 bunches
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Wash radishes and remove greens. Cut in half.
- Place a skillet on medium heat and add the olive oil. Once hot, add the radishes, thyme leaves and a generous sprinkling of salt and pepper (saute in two batches if they don't have enough room).
- Saute the radishes for about 4 minutes or until they take on a slight golden colour.
- Place radishes on a baking tray and roast in the oven for 15 minutes or until tender. Sprinkle again with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.