7 Flu Prevention Tips to Practice this Season
I’m a relatively healthy person; I exercise regularly, I eat healthy foods and I rarely get sick but I get my flu shot each and every year to protect my loved ones and those at risk around me because it’s not all about me. I choose to arm my family with the flu shot and practice these 7 Flu Prevention Tips as the best defence against the flu.
Your local Shoppers Drug Mart is offering flu shots to busy families across Canada. Just pop into your nearest location, get your flu shot and know you’ve done your best to protect yourself.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post through Shoppers Drug Mart. All opinions and experiences are 100% my own.
With the flu on the rise and 55,000 cases reported last season by the Public Health Agency of Canada (doubling from the previous year), it’s more important than ever to practice flu prevention, especially when getting vaccinated can prevent an estimated 70-90% of flu cases. For me, it’s always been important for my family to be responsible members of the community in flu prevention, helping protect seniors, children and those at higher risk of complications. After all, with my grandparents in their late 80’s, I want to make sure they stay healthy and with us for as long as possible.
Flu Prevention Tips to Practice this Season
Naturally, prevention is the key to avoiding the flu and spending weeks of rotating illness through family members. As a busy family with kids in sports, we don’t have time for that kind of setback, so we practice these 7 Flu Prevention Tips to ensure everyone is protected.
- Get the flu shot. This is the #1 best way to prevent yourself from getting the flu, prevent the spread of flu to others and reduce the risk of complications or severity of the illness, which is especially important for seniors. Shoppers Drug Mart makes it easy for busy people so you can quickly drop in to get immunized and be on your way.
- Get the flu shot on time. The best time to get your flu shot is October to November but even if you are late, it’s still important to get the flu shot to reduce risk and/or severity. Canada’s first-ever Flu prevention Awareness Week ran from October 29 – November 2 this year and Shoppers Drug Mart is ready to protect your family at your nearest location.
- Disinfect surfaces. Frequently cleaning door knobs, taps, phones or anything else that people touch with disinfectant wipes is a great way to prevent the spread of flu germs and offer your family members more protection. Try to keep your house as germ-free as possible, and pay special attention to dish rags or face cloths that are breeding grounds for bacteria.
- Wash hands thoroughly and often. Make it a habit to wash your hands using the correct technique and for a length of time long enough to kill flu germs. For seniors who have a tougher time getting up often, hand sanitizer may be a great option in between bathroom or kitchen sink visits.
- Avoid touching your face. Try to make it a habit to avoid touching your mouth, nose or face and then touching other surfaces before washing your hands. This is the easiest way to spread illness and sometimes can be hard to keep on top of. Make sure to keep hand sanitizer close by for people who may have a cough or runny nose.
- Stay home when sick.. Know when a fever is too high and make sure to stay home if your temperature passes 100 degrees. Remember you should be fever-free for at least 24 hours before returning to work, school or regular activities.
- Encourage healthy habits. Try to stay as active as possible , get plenty of rest, eat healthy, take vitamins and prescribed medications and drink plenty of water to keep your immune system at its best.
I love the flexibility and convenience of going to my local pharmacy to receive my flu shot. It gives me peace of mind knowing I can protect my family and spend more time visiting my more vulnerable grandparents. Head over to your trusted pharmacist today to protect yourself with the flu shot and practice prevention with these 7 Flu Prevention Tips. .
Giveaway includes the following items in the gift pack, a $150 CAD value:
- Life Brand Hand Sanitizer
- Cough Drops
- Electrolyte Maintenance Powder
- Disinfectant Wipes
- Digital Thermometer
- PC Chicken Noodle Soup
- PC Lemon Ginger tea
- PC Stainless Steel Insulated Hot or Cold Water Bottle
- Home Collection Mug
- Facial Tissues
- $100 SDM gift card
It’s easy to enter, just tell me in the comments below your best way to prevent the flu.
This giveaway has ended; thank you.