Campfire French Toast
Camping is one of favourite ways to spend time together vacationing as a family. We often go will extended family with travel trailers, making plans ahead for easy to make groups meals.
With a plethora of little mouths to feed all wanting the same thing at once, I decided this year that there had to be a better way to feed everyone at one time. This Campfire French Toast is easy, low maintenance cooking and will bring smiles to your little campers.
Whenever I go camping I have a list of must have essentials. Bug spray, s’mores and eggs are at the top of my list.
What are you must have camping ingredients?
One thing I did notice the bottom of the loaf to be crisp so for the kids I cut off the bottom crust, which they prefer anyway, and with a spatula separated sections of two slices per serving for the kids to sprinkle their toppings on.
This Campfire French Toast has a consistency that is thick, moist and full of flavour, similar to a strata more so than a french toast. My kids have asked for this several times this summer; I don’t have the heart to tell them Campfire French Toast season is almost over.
- 1 loaf of bread of choice
- 8 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- 1 500g container of fresh strawberries
- Confectioners sugar (Icing Sugar)
- Syrup of choice
- Wash strawberries, dice half of the container and slice the other half.
- Wrap the loaf of bread in parchment paper, then in foil loosely so the bread slices fall slightly open.
- Sprinkle the diced strawberries over the loaf, taking care to sprinkle some between slices; set aside the sliced strawberries for afterwards.
- Sprinkle the sliced almonds in the same way as the diced strawberries over the loaf.
- Whisk eggs, milk, vanilla and cinnamon until frothy. Wrap the foil and parchment paper tighter around the loaf of bread. Pour eggs evenly over the entire loaf of bread before wrapping tightly with a top piece of foil to ensure no leaks.
- Place over the campfire or grill on low to medium heat for approximately 40 minutes, moving around occasionally to cook evenly. If the bread looks soggy still, cook slightly longer.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 10 mins before serving with sugar, syrup and sliced strawberries.