Honey Dijon Beet and Egg Salad
It’s harvest time here on the farm. Combines were lined up for a sleepover at the edge of our yard site after a long day of work. The drivers had very quickly rolled the fields, harvesting the ripe lentil crop. We were equally as busy extracting honey from our beehives.
I noticed my garden had grown ripe as well; fresh lettuce, dill, beets and onions all ripe for the picking. What does one make with all these healthy ingredients? A delicious Honey Dijon Beet and Egg Salad.
Hubs added hot peppers and chunks of cooked chicken to his salad but I enjoyed the salad just as it was. Eggs are a major source of daily protein all on their own; add in the beets for a daily dose of healthy heart medicine. I’m constantly trying to convince my father-in-law to eat more beets for this very reason but it’s not just a healthy salad. This salad is packed full of flavour.
- 4 cups spring leaf lettuce
- 2 medium cooked beets, skinned and sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 hardboiled eggs, sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh dill
- 1 tsp parmesan cheese
- Ground peppercorns to taste
- Salad Dressing
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 lime
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Squeeze the juice of 1 lime into a dressing shaker, or measuring cup. Add all remaining dressing ingredients, shake and pour over the lettuce, setting aside 1/4 of the salad dressing.
- In a large salad bowl use tongs to toss the lettuce with all but 1/4 dressing you previously set aside.
- On a platter lay out the lettuce coated with dressing, place sliced beets, onions and eggs throughout the bed of lettuce.
- Sprinkle with dill, parmesan and ground pepper to taste.
- Serve with the remaining 1/4 salad dressing you previously set aside. Shake and pour over serving size as per taste.